The project goal is to support the NKEP for achieving and sustaining the target of elimination of kala-azar as a public health problem in Bangladesh
General objective of the project
The general objective of the project aims to support the Government of Bangladesh in implementing programme activities with the target of achieving and sustaining kala-azar elimination. This will involve participation of public, private and community stakeholders.
Specific objectives of the project for Phase II
- To prepare NKEP for taking over the supportive responsibility for VL and PKDL case management, follow up and reporting in the UHC, and specialized centers that KC is providing.
- To define the critical know-do gaps for logistics and supply chain for the NKAEP and if necessary to re-enforce and proceed to make sustainable the capacity of the programme in supply chain maintenance which has been developed by the KC supported activities. This includes ensuring appropriate management SOPs are developed and are implemented and QA mechanisms are in place for the cold chain.
- To continue monitoring and evaluation process of the NKEP within the programme that is strengthened with KC support.
- To prepare NKEP to take up the clinical team of SKKRC in phase II implementing period of KC project
- To support NKEP while taking up the position of Data management Officer to conduct DHIS2 based data management and analysis
- To handover the training process of district, tertiary and missionary (charity hospitals preferred by marginalized population) hospitals in up-to-date management of kala-azar and PKDL to NKEP.
- To control recently reported suspected VL outbreak through the implementation and validation of recently developed outbreak management guideline in NKEP in Bangladesh and assist NKEP to build up their own capacity to conduct outbreak investigation.
- To ensure community awareness about kala-azar symptoms and prevention is sustained through developing longer-term sustainable community based BCC / IEC tools by the program in the most endemic areas.
- Transfer to NKEP the responsibility of maintaining the VL component of the DHIS 2.
- To ensure efficiency by monitoring inputs, activities and outputs of the KC project
- To evaluate impact of the KC project in tackling VL in Bangladesh
- To integrate the working space for the seconded staffs to NKEP’s own office thus create better working environment and maximize their output.
List of kala-azar endemic districts and their respective endemic upazilas where training will be provided
|S/N||District||Upazila||Types of Endemic|
|1||Mymensingh||Fulbaria||Hyper Endemic Upazila|
|3||Mymensingh||Bhaluka||Moderate Endemic Upazila|
|9||Mymensingh||Haluaghat||Low Endemic Upazila|
|46||Dhunot||Low Endemic Upazila|
|91||Bhola||Lalmohon||Low Endemic Upazila|