Project Component 5:
Strengthening VL surveillance through integration of VL surveillance into national DHIS2 web based surveillance system of MIS, DGHS, GOB
Strengthening Visceral Leishmaniasis (VL) surveillance within the existing web based surveillance system of the National Disease Management Information System, ensuring that it is a central tool in the outbreak response strategy for the consolidation phase of elimination. In Phase I, KC developed and sensitized surveillance staff on the VL component of the pre-existing web based National Disease Management Information System of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), Government of Bangladesh. About 450 surveillance staffs at sub-district, district and central level have been trained on this newly developed system, which resulted in 100% reporting from the sub-district level hospitals through the web system in last year. However, challenges remain such as reporting delay, quality of data entry at sub-district level hospital and integration of tertiary level hospitals into the VL web based surveillance system. These will be addressed in Phase II so that the VL component of the DHIS2 is effective for the GoB to use in longer term VL surveillance, and crucially to ensure that it is integrated into the outbreak response strategy.
To strengthen VL surveillance system of NKEP through operationalization of the web based surveillance system of the MIS unit of DGHS, GoB in Bangladesh.
- Ensure the proper takeover the management responsibilities by the NKEP of DHIS2 based web based surveillance of Kala-azar
- To ensure that the VL surveillance system is integrated into the DHIS2 and appropriate mechanisms are in place for outbreak detection and integration into the outbreak response guidelines.
- To ensure adequate quality control and assurance for data entry at all levels for the surveillance system.
- To develop new module for zero reporting system in the VL web based surveillance system.
- To develop new module for logistic and supply chain system in the VL web based surveillance system.
The activities of this component will be implemented in 100 endemic upazilas of 26 districts in Bangladesh, tertiary level medical college hospitals, missionary hospitals, district hospitals and district CS office.
The project activity will cover 100 VL endemic sub-districts of 26 districts, 13 tertiary level medical college hospitals, 4 missionary hospitals, district hospitals and 26 district CS office in Bangladesh.