Project Component 10:
Exit strategy and integration of priority KalaCORE activities into national health system of Bangladesh
General objective of the component
To incorporate the successful activities of KalaCORE project in Bangladesh developed for progress the VL elimination programme to its accomplishment into the national health system in Bangladesh. KalaCORE assisted NKEP to achieve its target. A sustainable exit plan is required for the successful project thus NKEP can be benefited using the activities of KalaCORE.
Specific objective of the component
1. To complete incorporation the successful activities in the NKEP deliverables and activities which will be implemented in the 4th HPNSP under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW)
2. To prepare the existing health personnel (GoB, WHO and others) for implementing the activities conducted under KalaCORE project
3. To provide hands on training for the district level (civil surgeon office) personnel thus they can act as a ToT for future
4. To involve district level (civil surgeon office) personnel efficiently in the VL surveillance under DHIS2 platform and strengthen stewardship of the central level of the NKEP in DHIS2 VL surveillance.
5. To develop a Kala-azar surveillance guideline and hand over it to NKEP
6. To improve the web based surveillance system for Kala-azar and incorporate the supply chain management system within the DHIS2
7. To hand over the training process of tertiary level to the CDC, DGHS and other national expert who are involved with NKEP, thus the process continued after end of KC project
8. To provide integrated messaging on Kala-azar through existing other programme of CDC, DGHS on NTDs.
9. To establish and integrate into the GoB system an auto sensitization mechanism of the clinicians (GoB) for VL and PKDL case identification through cll phone technology
Geographical coverage of the component
The activities of this component will be implemented in 100 upazilas of26 Districts endemic for VL (list of the upazila are given in table 1.1 in Annex).
Target population of the component
Central level policy makers who will prepare the future programme design and responsible for managing the elimination programme in the current HPNSP; programme director and programme managers who will accommodate the successful KC activities into the ongoing activities targeting the elimination; partners of NKEP (WHO, MSF, KC and others), civil surgeons of the endemic districts, office staffs of civil surgeons particularly the mangers involved in field training and management, Upazila (sub-districts) managers (UH&FPOs); together with people who are residing the 26 endemic districts.
10.1 Preparedness of GoB health staff in civil surgeon office on Kala-azar surveillance
10.2 Handover the community mobilization responsibilities to health education officer and other members at district level (civil surgeon office)
10.3 Update the DHIS2 system in accordance with version provided by Oslo University and to prepare the GoB person to take over the responsibilities
10.4 Upgrade DHIS2 to incorporate the electronic supply chain management for Kala-azar for future smooth use by the supply chain manager in NKEP
10.5 Set up linkage between civil surgeon office in district and UHC (sub-district) for future coordination in elimination programme
10.6 Hand over the training of tertiary level clinicians to NKEP
10.7 Handover the integrated messaging on kala-azar through existing national health programme (De-worming)
10.8 Develop a guideline for Kala-azar surveillance in Bangladesh
10.9 Develop an auto reminder for clinicians (GoB) on case identification of VL and PKDL through SMS through mobile phone
10.10 Develop an auto reminder for follow up of the patients through SMS through mobile phone and handover the system to NKEP